CV Peter Glas – Delta Programme Commissioner
Peter Glas (born in Hoorn, 1956) studied biology, mathematics, and Dutch law in Leiden. In the period 1983-1989, he worked in Delft as a researcher-consultant for the Delft Hydraulics laboratory. From 1989 until 1991 he held the position of senior policy adviser at the Directorate General for the Environment at the then Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment. Subsequently, he returned to Delft Hydraulics (now Deltares), initially as the regional manager for Central and Eastern Europe, and later on as a line executive. As from 1 March 2003, he was appointed by Royal Decree as Chairman of the De Dommel water board. In the period 2004-2015, he sat on the board of the Association of Dutch Regional Water Authorities, serving as national Chair from 2010 to 2015. Since 2013, he has also served as international Chair of the OECD Water Governance Initiative.
Education and training
- 1968-1974: Atheneum-B at the Fioretti College in Lisse [pre-university secondary education]; graduated.
- 1974-1982: Mathematics and Natural Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Mathematics at Leiden University. Master’s programmes in Leiden, Wageningen, and Amhurst (USA). Graduated cum laude.
- 1982-1983: Officer’s training at the Military Intelligence School in Harderwijk. Mission-ready post: Russian-German intelligence translator 898 Eibergen signals unit.
- 1989-1998: Dutch Law at Leiden University, majoring in Constitutional and Administrative Law. Graduated.
- 2007-2008: Post-academic Strategy, Innovation and Governance course at TIAS-NIMBAS institute, Tilburg University and John F. Kennedy School of Government in Boston (USA).
- 2012-2015: Learning Network (4), Dutch School for Public Administration in The Hague.
- 2010: Second place in Administrator of the Year election (Binnenlands Bestuur Magazine)
- 2013: Officer’s Cross (XXX)
- 2015: Officer in the Order of Orange-Nassau with the swords
Selection of positions and secondary positions (in chronological order)
- Military service: officer’s training in the Royal Dutch Army (1982-1983)
- Researcher-consultant at Delft Hydraulics laboratory in Delft (1983-1989)
- Senior policy adviser at the Directorate General for the Environment at the then Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment, tasked with research coordination (1989-1991)
- Head of the Ecology Department & Regional Manager for Eastern Europe, subsequently Sector Director of Water Management and the Environment (approx. 100 staff) at Delft Hydraulics (1991-2003)
- Member of the Association of Polder Board Members of Delfland District Water Control Board (1999-2003)
- Reserve Colonel of the Signals Unit at the National Command Staff, currently Senior Liaison Officer at the National Operations Detachment Staff of the Commander of the Dutch Army CLAS (2001-2016)
- Chairman of the De Dommel district water board (2003-2018)
- Member of the Committee of Experts of the Vereniging voor Natuurmonumenten nature organisation (2004-2010 and 2016-now)
- Member of the Executive Board of the Association of Dutch Regional Water Authorities (2004-2015)
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Samen Stromen BV (2005-2009)
- Member of the Board of the Het Waterschapshuis Foundation (2005-2007)
- Member of the Council for Delta Studies (2007-2010)
- Member of the Water Technology Steering Group of the Netherlands Water Partnership NWP (2008-2010)
- Member of the Delta Technology Steering Group of the Netherlands Water Partnership NWP (2008-2010)
- Member of the Transport, Mobility, and Water Innovation Council of the Ministry of Transport and Public Works (2009-2012)
- National Chairman of the Association of Dutch Regional Water Authorities (2010-2015)
- Member of the Social Advisory Council of the Knowledge for Climate programme (2011-now)
- International Chairman of the OECD Water Governance Initiative in Paris (2013-now)
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the Vrienden van ’s-Hertogenbosch foundation (2017-now)